Kitchen Remodeling Dos and Donts
In 2017, kitchen remodeling was one of the most popular home projects and it’s a wonderful way to add value to your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before ripping out your floors and tearing down your kitchen cabinets. Follow these do’s and don’ts to achieve the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the smart way:
- Do some research to make sure you are hiring a qualified contractor. Browse reviews online, ask your friends and peers for recommendations, and don’t settle just because one contractor has the lowest bid.
- Determine your kitchen must-haves—do you want your kitchen to be energy efficient? Have a certain finish or countertop material? Do you want to have high-tech appliances?
- Evaluate what an ideal floor plan for your kitchen would look like. Keep it functional and efficient with adequate storage and countertop space that meets your needs and the needs of your home. What function do you want this space to serve? What do you like to use the kitchen for most frequently? Cooking? Entertaining? Spending time with your family?
- Store all your receipts. Have them in a safe place to submit when filing your taxes or to use when you are ready to sell your home in the future.
- Focus solely on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most important things about your new kitchen. Ensure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen functioning efficiently for a long time.
- Forget to consider the budget! Stay on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are worth the most to you. We suggest budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you believe you’ll need so you can cover unforeseen costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget about windows! Pella Windows and Doors has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can tie in an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important aspects of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they offer light into your space, set the tone for the room and give you a gateway to the outdoors, which really feels nice when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are thinking about replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our team at Pella Windows and Doors a call at (877) 680-9334, visit our Baton Rouge showroom or schedule an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you pick out the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.