Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?
Regardless if you are ready, the colder weather is coming to Baton Rouge and there is still time to make sure your windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly examining your windows and doors will help ensure that your home stays comfortable and helps save on your energy bills.
How can you prepare your windows and doors for colder weather?
- Make sure your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris residing in windowsills or the moving parts on your windows and doors can affect the tightness and seal when closed.
- Examine your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from leaking in when windows and doors are secured. It can become loose or torn over time, so check it out and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are ripped.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can damage exterior sealants and caulk. Remove damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Check for signs of moisture leaking, such as cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps to keep cold air and moisture from coming back into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors help to add an additional layer of protection from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this increase your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the house.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If you still have single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you could be paying more than necessary to heat your home. Our experts can walk you through newer, energy-efficient windows and doors.
If you would like to learn more about preparing your home for winter, contact your local Showroom in Baton Rouge at (877) 680-9334.